Friday, December 11, 2009

Surprise Birthday Brunch



My Mother-in-law, Susan's birthday was at the beginning of November. My sister-in-law, Brenda, and I decided to plan a surprise birthday brunch for her. Most of the planning happened one night shortly after we got home from Australia while I was still jet-lagged. My mom graciously opened up her home for hosting as both my mom and mother-in-law live about an hour from where we live.


With a pink and yellow theme, we decorated with bunting (some made and some borrowed, thanks, Rhonda) and the infamous Martha Stewart-style poufs. On the table, I decorated with flowers in large Mason jars. I picked out some gerbera daisies, as these are Susan's favorite flower. Favors were small jars of homemade lemon curd (so tart and yummy), with labels that Derek helped me design and print.



For the menu, we went with eggs benedict. I made Julia Child's blender hollandaise recipe (pretty easy, actually) and had Brie cheese, back bacon, mushroom and asparagus for toppings. I also had a greens salad with beets and pecans, and a pink and yellow fruit salad. Pink punch, coffee and tea rounded out the beverages. It was a great time, and I think everyone had fun. There were 9 or 10 of us in total. For dessert we had some pineapple upside-down cake, which was a new recipe for me to try. Looking back, trying a new recipe for a party wasn't the best idea, but it turned out delicious (even with me forgetting the white sugar).


No comments:

Post a Comment